Alexander Hamilton Bridge
NYSDOT - construction support services for alexander hamilton bridge
Environmental Planning & Management, Inc. (EPM), as a subconsultant to Ammann and Whitney, performed various construction inspection and oversight activities in support of the overall rehabilitation of the Alexander Hamilton Bridge:
- Reviewed all contract drawings to determine areas of proposed excavation throughout project corridor.
- Prepared Phase II Work Plan and performed Phase II investigation of areas proposed for significant excavation.
- Reviewed laboratory analytical data for waste characterization samples collected by contractor.
- Inspected contaminated soil excavations and load-outs on a regular basis.
- Reviewed contractor submittals and made recommendations for safe disposal, handling and transportation.
- Reviewed final contaminated soil waste manifests from load-out.
- Reviewed asbestos contractor’s Site Specific Variance request to NYS Dept. of Labor for asbestos removal.
- Attended meetings with asbestos contractor and project engineers to delineate asbestos locations identified during design phase.
- Monitored asbestos abatement when scheduled.
- Investigated and sampled abandoned underground, concrete-encased orangeburg pipe for possible asbestos content.
- Reviewed asbestos abatement submissions involving water main pipe and gas main pipe.
- Monitored abrasive and non-abrasive lead disturbance which included integrity of containment, air sampling, and assessment of visible emissions.
Testing labs analyzed air samples collected during lead disturbance using EPA SW846 Method 1311 (TCLP-Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure), with lead analysis by EPA Method 7420.