new York state department of transportation (nysdot)
EPM has provided asbestos assessment, remediation design, and abatement oversight services on nine consecutive 3-year term contracts throughout NYC, Long Island, Westchester, Rockland, Orange and Putnam Counties.
Assignments have included roadways, bridges and buildings. As part of the assessment phase, EPM is responsible for bulk sample collection and assessment reports preparation. As part of the design phase, EPM is responsible for identifying and specifying abatement procedures, which include preparation of special notes to be added to Contract Plans, identification of NYSDOT blanket variances, and identification of NYSDOL Applicable Variances. The oversight for asbestos abatement includes asbestos abatement project monitoring and air sampling.
EPM’s most recent term contract has 19 assignments thus far, including asbestos abatement oversight at maintenance repairs of thirteen (13) bridges throughout Manhattan, Bronx and Richmond Counties, Taconic State Parkway Bridge Rehabilitation project, Robert Moses Causeway deck repairs and Cross Bronx Expressway signage and lighting improvements.
EPM conducted Asbestos Investigation, Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments and prepared abatement design plans, specifications, and cost estimates for hazardous material at the design of the Kosciuszko Bridge Reconstruction Project.
The investigation included sampling and analysis of soil, groundwater, soil vapor, and Newtown Creek sediment, plus asbestos containing materials sampling at the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway approaches, the Kosciuszko Bridge, and 25 commercial structures to be acquired by NYSDOT for demolition.
Design services included preparing asbestos remediation documents for properties slated for demolition, preparing a Project Health and Safety Plan and a Contaminant Management Plan to guide the Contractor during construction for worker and community health and safety protocols.
EPM in coordination with NYSDEC and USEPA attended Community Board Meetings and Public Information Sessions to share results and to answer questions for the community.
Alexander Hamilton Bridge
EPM, performed various construction inspection and oversight activities in support of the overall rehabilitation of the Alexander Hamilton Bridge. Tasks included but not limited to:
- Reviewed all contract drawings for proposed excavations throughout project corridor.
- Prepared Phase II Work Plan and performed Phase II investigation for proposed areas for excavation.
- Inspected excavations and load-outs of contaminated soil and reviewed contractor submittals regularly to verify safety in handling material.
- Reviewed final contaminated soil waste manifests and asbestos contractor’s Site Specific Variance requests.
- Monitored asbestos abatement of water main pipe and gas main pipe and reviewed contractor submissions.
- Monitored abrasive and non-abrasive lead disturbance which included air sampling, assessment of visible emissions and containment integrity.